Truthout welcomes submissions from both well-known and beginning authors, video and audio reporters, photographers and artists. We regret that we are only able to publish a small portion of these submissions and, in general, only respond to those we plan to use. Any submission that does not conform to the formatting and substantive guidelines below will be subject to summary rejection. Women and persons of color are encouraged to submit.
Truthout is a small nonprofit organization and unless otherwise stated, it will be assumed that submissions are offered gratis and that Truthout's editors may choose to publish them on either Truthout, our sister site, BuzzFlash, or our blogspot, SpeakOut. Truthout will not sell any uncompensated writer's work or take any other action which directly results in any private entity or person profiting from contributing writers' work without compensation to the writer.
Please familiarize yourself with Truthout's content before sending us your work. We look for original news stories and news analysis pieces with broad national appeal. We're especially interested in coverage of issues that slip under the radar of the mainstream media.
Human sources must be named and contextualized. If a source does not agree to be named in print, their name must be provided to the editor, and the article must provide a compelling explanation for the source's anonymity.
Citations (see below) must be from reliable sources. When citing lengthy source material, please provide page numbers specifying where supporting documentation is located to expedite our fact-checking process.
We strongly suggest including external links to substantiate assertions.
- Contrary to previous instructions, please submit this supporting material as embedded hyperlinks in your word processing document.
- If for some reason you cannot embed the hyperlinks, please list the url BOLDED AND IN BRACKETS immediately following pertinent words intended to be hyperlinked. Use [ ] for brackets, never < >. DO NOT INCLUDE ANY HTML CODING.
- When creating hyperlinks, set them to open in a new window.
- Please highlight some common search terms related to the link whenever possible when you hyperlink.
In keeping with journalism standards, we ask that authors eschew footnotes in favor of embedded hyperlinks, EXCEPT FOR academic-oriented submissions. Even in academic submissions, if the source is simply a url, hyperlink, do not footnote. When footnotes are necessary:
a. DO NOT USE auto-linked subscript/anchored footnotes in text. Please ONLY use plain numbers inside brackets.
b. Endnotes should be plain numbers as well, followed by a period.
c. If endnotes contain more than one or two urls, please make sure there is enough relevant text at the footnote location in which to embed the urls. (If an endnote consists only of url(s) with no expanded explanation, a hyperlink is the appropriate form of citation, not a footnote.)
It is important that material intended for blockquoting be clearly designated. For example, type BLOCKQUOTE in BOLD CAPS above and below the relevant text.
Please do not use HTML coding in your submission.
Search Engine Optimization
- Please use subheadlines to break up longer pieces.
- Please include suggested keywords between your byline and the body of your story.
- Please include some key search words related to the link whenever possible when you hyperlink.
Truthout strongly prefers use of the editorial voice (eschewing "I," "me," "mine" and the general informality common to blogposts) in all submissions for publication.
Submissions devoted primarily to unsubstantiated opinion are strongly discouraged.
Open letters and rebuttals of original Truthout articles will not be published. Rebuttals may be posted to the Comments section of the original article. Press releases and open letters, if published, will appear in SpeakOut only.
We are open to republishing work that has appeared elsewhere, as long as you currently hold the rights to reprint your work and have permission from the outlet where it has first appeared. If you are submitting an article for republication, please follow the formatting suggestions below for Reprints.
Please send the original url with the text of the article in the body of the email to editor[at]truthout[dot]org.
The subject line of your email should begin with "REPRINT:" followed by your last name, the name of the publication in which your work originally appeared, and the article title.
NO SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSION
Please DO NOT submit to Truthout simultaneously with a number of outlets: we want either original and exclusive submissions or reprints. Articles posted to any other site - including your own personal site - must be submitted as reprints.
FOR TRUTHOUT ORIGINAL AND EXCLUSIVE SUBMISSIONS:
The subject line of your email should begin with "SUBMISSION:" followed by your last name and the article title.
All submissions are subject to an editorial review process, copy editing and possible headline change. Writers will be consulted if major editing is required. The review and publication process may take as long as three weeks, or exceptionally, even longer if the topic is not time sensitive. If there is a stale-by date or other critical time element to your submission, please indicate that prominently in your submission email.
Keep It Short
For writers not previously published by Truthout, we suggest opinion submissions be limited to 750 words; news analysis to 1,200 words and straight news stories to 2,000 words. Please send final drafts only. Our staff is small and revisions are time-consuming. If intervening events between submission and publication necessitate revisions, please resubmit your original text with revisions highlighted or in bold text. Do not ever submit a file with tracked changes.
- Place only a single space between sentences.
- Place only a single line break between paragraphs.
- Do not indent paragraphs.
- In your word processing program, turn off "word wrap" and "smart quotes."
- All dates, times and months must be spelled out, i.e. Tuesday, December 10, 2010, never "last Tuesday," "next week," "tomorrow," etc. Since time of publication may be significantly later than time of submission, this is essential for the story to remain accurate and usable.
- Please spellcheck your work.
References must appear as embedded hyperlinks. In rare instances, they can appear as manually created (not auto-linked) footnotes, as described at length above.
Please note that any work published by Truthout will be copyright Truthout and any other site may reprint only with Truthout's permission. You will be able to repost the article to your personal site after it appears on Truthout. Trusted noncommercial outlets will also be given permission to reprint your article at no charge. All reprints must indicate "Copyright, Truthout.org. Reprinted with permission." Our choice to copyright our original material this way reflects our desire to spread reliable information, critical thought and progressive ideas in cooperation with others who share our goals.
It has come to our attention that many articles which appeared originally on Truthout are being poached, i.e. republished without permission and/or credit to Truthout, which violates our copyright. As Truthout.org has internal editorial review and copy-editing processes that assure your work is presented professionally, we require that parties interested in reprinting content from Truthout first receive permission (inquire at editor[at]truthout[dot]org). When a Truthout article is reprinted anywhere, including on a personal blog, it must include the notation, "Copyright, Truthout.org. Reprinted with permission." with a hyperlink back to the original story on Truthout's site.
Truthout is on the lookout for online video content, photographs and images that highlight news topics with national appeal.
We are open to republishing work that has appeared elsewhere, as long as you currently hold the rights to reprint your work.
When sending your multimedia content, do not include any attachments. Send us a link - private or password protected if necessary - to your content. For example, Flickr offers privacy settings, and Blip.tv allows videos to be password protected.
If we determine that we wish to use your content, we will email you with more information on how to send it to us.
Please use this format to submit content:
- Videos should not be longer than ten minutes and should be non-compressed and in .MOV or .FLV format.
- Photos and images should be minimum 490x300 pixels and can be in .PDF, .JPEG, .GIF, .PNG or .TIFF format.
- Audio files should be in .MOV, .FLV, .MPEG-4 or MP3 format.
Send your submissions to the multimedia editors via editor[at]truthout[dot]org with the link and password information to your work. Please include your name, contact information, a brief bio, and proper credits and captions for photos.
Place "Multimedia Submission:" in the subject headline of your email, followed by the title of your work. You must be the sole copyright holder of your submissions, including any images that appear in your videos.
Publication on Truthout is voluntary, and both parties shall hold one another harmless from any damages resulting from said publication
Please do not submit items that:
- Are not yours (by rights) to submit, post, disseminate or transmit;
- Are unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, obscene, harmful, tortuous, libelous or invasive of another's privacy;
- Infringe or violate any party's copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other proprietary right;
- Contain any viruses, worms or other harmful, disruptive or destructive files, code or programs;
- Include any unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, chain letters, spam, junk mail or any other type of unsolicited mass email to people or entities that have not agreed to be part of such mailings.