Monday, 22 December 2014 / TRUTH-OUT.ORG

"Restrepo" Director Is Killed in Libya

Wednesday, 20 April 2011 09:58 By CJ Chivers, The New York Times News Service | Report

Benghazi, Libya - Tim Hetherington, the Oscar-nominated film director and conflict photographer who produced the film "Restrepo," was killed in the besieged city of Misurata on Wednesday, and three photographers working beside him were wounded.

The wounds to two of the photographers — Chris Hondros and Guy Martin — were grave, according to a colleague at the triage center where they were being treated Wednesday night. Their prospects for survival were not immediately clear.

Mr. Hondros, an American working for the Getty photo agency, suffered a severe brain injury and was in extremely critical condition, according to a colleague who was with at the triage center. He had been revived and was clinging to life in the evening, the colleague said.

Mr. Martin, a British citizen working for the Panos photo agency, had shrapnel wounds and was undergoing vascular surgery Wednesday night, according to the same account. He was in surgery Wednesday night.

The fourth photographer, Michael Christopher Brown, suffered shrapnel injuries but his life was not in danger.

Misurata, Libya's third largest city, has been cut off by land from the rest of Libya by military forces loyal to Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. It has been the scene of intensive, close-quarters fighting for weeks. Hundreds of Libyans have been confirmed killed.

The photographers had reached the city's port on a sea voyage from Benghazi, the rebel capital. The early reports said they had been working together near the front lines when they were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

 


Hide Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
GET DAILY TRUTHOUT UPDATES

FOLLOW togtorsstottofb


Latest Stories

"Restrepo" Director Is Killed in Libya

Wednesday, 20 April 2011 09:58 By CJ Chivers, The New York Times News Service | Report

Benghazi, Libya - Tim Hetherington, the Oscar-nominated film director and conflict photographer who produced the film "Restrepo," was killed in the besieged city of Misurata on Wednesday, and three photographers working beside him were wounded.

The wounds to two of the photographers — Chris Hondros and Guy Martin — were grave, according to a colleague at the triage center where they were being treated Wednesday night. Their prospects for survival were not immediately clear.

Mr. Hondros, an American working for the Getty photo agency, suffered a severe brain injury and was in extremely critical condition, according to a colleague who was with at the triage center. He had been revived and was clinging to life in the evening, the colleague said.

Mr. Martin, a British citizen working for the Panos photo agency, had shrapnel wounds and was undergoing vascular surgery Wednesday night, according to the same account. He was in surgery Wednesday night.

The fourth photographer, Michael Christopher Brown, suffered shrapnel injuries but his life was not in danger.

Misurata, Libya's third largest city, has been cut off by land from the rest of Libya by military forces loyal to Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. It has been the scene of intensive, close-quarters fighting for weeks. Hundreds of Libyans have been confirmed killed.

The photographers had reached the city's port on a sea voyage from Benghazi, the rebel capital. The early reports said they had been working together near the front lines when they were struck by a rocket-propelled grenade.

 


Hide Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus